9/14/2006

Time for Norwich Union to be renamed India Union - Aviva just don't give a damn !

Bad news today as Aviva announced hundreds of job losses in Norwich. For those who don't know, Aviva is what used to be called Norwich Union, whilst Norwich Union is now really only a brand name used by Aviva.

To me, it is an insult that Aviva continue to used the good name of Norwich to promote their products when more and more of their work is done overseas in India.

As a former member of staff of Norwich Union, I am completely aware from friends who still work there just what a shoddy and ultimately unproffessional company Aviva are. Indeed, just last year my brother was made redundant. They then realised they had nobody trained to do his job. They then offered him a bonus to stay (by this time he already had another job), then paid him (and the rest of his department who were in the same situation and had also got new and better paid jobs elsewhere) extra to train up staff do do the jobs of those they were paying to leave ! Absolutely crazy logic !

Recently I phone NU to change my personal details on an old pension. When I did this,via India, I asked to be put through to staff pensions so I caould change my own staff pension details.
"There is no such department" was the reply from India.
"Oh yes there is" I replied
"What is your pension number"
"I don't know" I replied, "That is why I need to be put through to staff pensions"
"But there is no such thing as staff pensions" India replied.
And so it went on. Perhaps, of course, they do not pay pensions to Indian staff, but the biggest problem for me was the complete inflexibility of the Indian staff to say "I'm sorry sir, I'll try and find a number for you to call them". Instead, I had to go in to the Norwich Surrey Street old head office of Norwich Union and speak to someone face to face in order to get a response.

Again, crazy logic, shoddy organisation, and useless service. These are now the core values I associate with Norwich Union.

No comments:

Pages