9/23/2008

Paul Howell, former MEP for Norfolk dies

I have just read of the death of former Tory MEP for Norfolk and Lib Dem member Paul Howell in a plane crash in Southern Africa.

The EDP report HERE highlights what a character he was, and I can add nothing to that really other than to say in my many dealings with him, first when he joined the Lib Dems in 2001 (I handled some of the press) and subsequently when canvassing with him in North Norfolk (it was odd Tories finding him on their doorstep canvassing for the Lib Dems), I always found him to be utterly charming and a real people person.

As an orator, given his vocal problems, he could teach anyone a a lesson in delivering a speech with power and vigour. I remember well the ear bashing he gave Labour when as a Conservative he lost his Euro seat in Norfolk to the resurgent "New Labour" in 1994.

Coming so soon after his father's death earlier this year, my sympathies go out to his family and friends.

No comments:

Pages