10/14/2006

Now that wholesale fuel prices are dropping - When will customers feel the benefit ?


Virgin Atlantic has today announced that due to the steep fall in fuel prices, they are to cut the fuel surcharge they have imposed on tickets. Good news then, but when will others follow suit ?


I note that wholesale Gas prices have fallen by two thirds since the start of the year, but my bills have only risen ? When will the gas and electricity companies pass on these benefits to their customers ?

Isn't this, yet again, an clear example of the fact that companies are quick to pass on rises, but much less keen to cut when the prices fall ?

2 comments:

Tristan said...

Well, petrol prices have fallen a fair amount near me...
I think there's also a lag between wholesale and consumer prices...

I am sceptical of claims that the energy markets are rigged, nobody has ever found evidence, and it isn't for lack of looking.
If prices are higher than they should be its probably them trying to make up money which Brown took from them in windfall taxes, which they are reinvesting.

Of course taxation could well be the reason prices aren't dropping as much as you might expect...

Anyway, high prices are good for the environment (if not for my pocket...) ;)

Nich Starling said...

High prices are not good for the elderly, the poor or the economy.

I agree that petrol prices have fallen. I think petrol companies are better at passing on cuts much more quickly.

I don't think there is price "fixing", just a lack of willingness to treat customers fairly, which when you take in to account the poor customer care we get (don't get me on to Powergen !), you'd think they would make more effort.

Pages