10/25/2006

I-pod hacking is good news for consumers



The BBC reports that the I-Pod code has been hacked for the first time so that Apples own proprietry music format can be played on other brands of music players.


To explain to thos who are confused, Apple's "I-Tunes" website downloads music to I-pods in a way that means the music can only be played on an I-Pod, and not on any other multimedia device.

I am no I-pod fan (I prefer my Sony), with the biggest thing putting me off about I-Pod's being their inflexibility to allow music to played things other than an I-pod. I like to have music on my laptop, my PC, other music players, but Apple have done everything they can to prevent this when downloading via I-tunes. It's a great shame, because I am a gadgets geek in many ways and think the I-pod is a great bit of kit, I just don't want to own something that limits my options.

The funny thing is, if Microsoft had done it, everyone would be up in arms about it, but when Apple do it, nobody seems willing to take action.

2 comments:

Tristan said...

This has been something of an ongoing saga.
There have been several ways to break the copy protection including buying with a different program which reverse engineered the protocols and skipped the encryption, actually breaking the encryption and reading the unencrypted data from memory.

I believe the last one is the only method which works at the moment and unfortunately only works on Windows...

Of course, you can burn to CD and then rip the track, but that's very long winded and wasteful of CDs...

And yes, if Microsoft had done it then there would be more outrage (although there isn't with their video DRM, but its less used I think)

Nich Starling said...

There is this attitude around that Microsoft is all bad, but anyone who apes them in any way is good because they are seen to be taking Microsoft on.

Pages