9/18/2010

Don't criticise Tory policies you don't agree with ? Oh do shut up !

Apparently we should show "responsibility" and not criticise Tory policies we do not agree with. Presumably turning the party in to liars who say nothing on issues they fundamentally disagree with and campaigned against just months ago is the price Nick Clegg is willing to pay in order for him to be David Cameron's best mate.

The preamble to the Lib Dem party constitution states

The Liberal Democrats exist to build and safeguard a fair, free and open society, in which we seek to balance the fundamental values of liberty, equality and community, and in which no-one shall be enslaved by poverty, ignorance or conformity.
Obviously conformity is not an issue any more ?

If the party leadership's advice is to be followed the Lib Dems are consigned to political stagnancy, left only to trumpet policies our MPs and our leadership abandoned (STV, reforming prisons, mansion tax, etc) whilst being left impotent to attack the Tories in Tory seats. Ridiculous.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think they want you to become Tories. That's what happened to Nick

Manfarang said...

"no one shall be enslaved by conformity"
I think that is a reference to religious freedom, Methodism and all that.
Church disestablishment is on the backburner at the moment.

English Pensioner said...

I'm having to give up your blog, not because I frequently have to disagree with what you say, but because I find that your new colour scheme makes it rather difficult to read.
I'm sure as as LibDem, you fully support inclusivity, and I would like to suggest that you look at one of the various websites giving guidance on this matter.

Nich Starling said...

I've changed it especially for you.

Thanks for the comment.

English Pensioner said...

Much better!

I'll continue to read what you have to say, and expect that I'll still continue to disagree with you!

stay focussed said...

No one has said that the coalition would be an easy ride or that it doesn't have to be worked at. Sure there will be issus some are slightly uneasy about, but look at the the positives and what is being achieved.

Anonymous said...

What an absolutely stupid blogpost.

All the years we've been arguing for PR, this is what it does, produce coalitions.

Now, how should we handle coalitions Nick?

Are you seriously advocating that we abandon the spirit of compromise, of a sensible working relationship, in favour of planting one between the shoulderblades of our coalition partners for every policy we disagree with?

What if the reverse was true? What if the Tories were openly planing one between our shoulderblades when they thought one of our policies was barmy?

Yes, that would lead to a good stable government wouldn't it.

Your whole approach stinks of "ya boo sucks" politics, and it's ridiculous.

Nich Starling said...

Is it more stupid than slagging someone off anonymously ?

Nick O said...

I don`t think Norfolk Blogger`s comments are ridiculous at all.

I`ve just heard on the TV that Labour have taken seats away from both the Conservatives and the Lib Dems in local elections in Notts recently (this week I think) . With no leader, and after a much-deserved General Election defeat, it should not be possible for them to do that. The Coalition leaders need to ask themselves how it is that Labour, a party despised and distrusted in their own traditional strongholds , are rallying so quickly.

Kristen Stewart said...

Thanks for stopping by at my blog, I'm delighted to add your excellent blog to my “Best Blog Which i read" sidebar. Thanks and best of fortune with your blog. I have added your blog in my blog sidebar, Thanks a lot. Keep blogging....

Will you add my blog in your blog?
My Blog details
Title – NASA Images
Link - http://spacestation-shuttle-archive.blogspot.com/
Thanks

Pages