3/21/2007

Jam tomorrow - The foolish politics of future promises

I cannot help feeling that Gordon Brown has made a massive mistake in delaying his 2p tax cut for 13 months, at least if my reaction is anything to go by.

One of the cleaners had the radio on as I left work, and I commented "Oh good, I could do with the money with a child on the way". She responded "The tax cut isn't happening for a year though", and instantly within me, any feeling of pleasure was gone. The problem is that being told you are going to be given something unexpected is always a bit of a thrill. But when you know you are going to receive something a long way off, you actually come to expect it, indeed by the time you receive it you actually believe you've earned it and that it is not really a gift at all.

Brown obviously thinks that in 13 months time we will all be pleased as punch and be very grateful to him. I simply don't think that is true. I will already be planning for the little extra I receive in April 2008, but equally be will be showing my disdain for him in the meantime as I guess teachers, like local government workers can expect a pay cut in real terms this year.

If the tax cut had been this year then I think he could have seen some benefit electorally, as it is, it is for the Labour party a wasted opportunity.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"indeed by the time you receive it you actually believe you've earned it and that it is not really a gift at all."
That's the point, Nich. You HAVE earned it _ and Grasping Gordon should never have had his hands on it in the first place. Never feel grateful for a tax cut. It just proves how the buggers have been fleecing you beforehand.

Pages