What is it about getting older and drinking that doesn't mix ?

I have never been a prolific or heavy drinker in the "binge drinking" sense, although I was always able to hold my alcohol well, indeed a little too well at University which annoyed me as I seemed to have to spend more to get drunk. At university a gentle night out would involve 8 pints of beer (£1 a pint back in 1996) and a heavy night out would mean having half a bottle of Vodka followed by several more pints. Yes, I know, it was not big or clever, but in my early to mid 20's (I was 26 when I left University), my body could cope with it. Indeed I had even been known to make it in for lectures at 9 am after some very heavy nights.

So why is this relevant ? Well last night I went out and had the equivalent of seven pints of beer over the course of about 5 hours. This accompanied a lovely meal with mr wife and six friends. I felt fine, was lucid, had no headache and didn't feel at all queasy or ill in the slightest. So why did I wake up this morning feeling so bad ? My head hurt so much, my throat felt like it had been sandpapered during the night and I seem to ache all over. What happens to your body when you pass 30 years of age that means you cannot cope with a few pints once a month ?

Is it is because I used to be made of much stronger stuff or perhaps my rose tinted spectacle view of my past drinking exploits mean that I fail to remember the days I couldn't get up to go to lectures or the throbbing headaches I used to have after a night out ? Indeed, I know I did sometimes feel really not great after a night out as a student but then given what I used to put my liver through, my body had earned the right to be in pain. But I come back to the point, I didn't even feel drunk and felt great last night, so why did I feel like I lost today to just lying in the sofa and feeling in pain ?

In truth it is probably one of the first signs of my body getting used to being much older. Having recently turned 37, I am usually the smug one who is pleased to receive the compliments of people who say "You're never 37". I have no real wrinkles yet and not a grey hair or bald patch in sight, and going to the gym three times a week means I am light on my feet and keeping the paunch at bay to. But, it appears that my body has ways of telling me "act your age".

So next time I go out (in a couple of weeks - so I will have to feed back), I'll take it even easier, act my age, and be back in time for Match of the Day. Perhaps I'll but some slippers too.


asquith said...

I'm 22, and I can't drink anything like as much as I used to 2 years ago! It's just one of those things. Nothing about you personally. Keep troshin' :)

lettersfromatory said...

The impurities in the beer are what give you the nasty hangover. Got to mainland Europe and drink some real beer, and you don't feel a thing the next day.

Carlsberg and Carling are the worst, but you would be hard pushed to find a top-quality beer being mass produced in this country.

whatatypo said...

Mr Wife?

dizzy said...

You big wuss! Here are some tips for you. Take two ibuprofen and drink a pint of water before going to bed. Also go for lighter liquids if you must. The darker the drink the worse the hangover. I have the added advantage that I can no longer drink beer due to having coeliac disease, so cider and wine it is for me!

Anonymous said...

Yes I remember at that age being overly pleased at being told I still looked 30 and then 3 years later being told I looked 50. It all falls apart far too quickly and intolerance for alcohol is the very first sign. Then the paunch goes, then wrinkles, hair recedes faster than a bride's negligee and, barely months later, unsightly skin blemishes. One day soomeone offers you their seat on the bus and you realise you haven't even turned 40 yet.

Matt Wardman said...

>Carlsberg and Carling

Anybody who drinks Carlsberg, Carling or any of the various versions of Kangaroo Pee deserves a hangover.

Try a half of water at the same time as each.