11/08/2007

When will some firms learn that some endorsements actually put customers off ?


I often wonder why it is that firms employ certain celebrities to endorse their products when I don't know a single person who actually likes the celebrity they have chosen. But in some cases, firms actually seem to hire people that negatively put people of the product all together.

Take, for example, Carol Vorderman. If there is a smugger woman on television then I have yet to see her. Only Gloria Hunniford can surely rival Carol Vorderman when it comes to inducing people to turn over. yet she gets advertising job after advertising job, with seemingly no awareness from the companies concerned that she simply puts people off.

First she was trying to flog us expensive loans by allowing us to consolidate our debts at a bank rate that I would consider very steep, and now she is working for Farm Foods, trying to flog us cheap iced cream and chips. The only problem is, as good a value as the products might be (even the expensive loans if you are unable to get a loan elsewhere), I really couldn't think of buying anything from Farm Foods because I find everything about Carol Vorderman absolutely repellent.

Have you ever been put off a product because of the person endorsing it ? Do let me know.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Alan Brazil on Talk Sport. Not an endorsement, but his drink driving recently has put me off listening to him.

Anonymous said...

Believe it or not a lot of people do like her.

Celebrity endorsements are just like Lib Dem leaflets cascading through doors in by-elections. They annoy and put off a lot of people but they attract the attention of far far more.

Anonymous said...

Someone you hate more that David Cameron Nick ?

For me, the most annoying person is that idiot who does the Safestyle UK adverts who shots the whol time. I have no idea who he is, but he makes their windows seem cheap and shoddy.

Anonymous said...

Only Gloria Hunniford can surely rival Carol Vorderman when it comes to inducing people to turn over.

Duw, am I the only one who thinks she's still fit?

Nich Starling said...

Gloria Hunniford fit ?

JRD168 said...

Ainsley Harriot. I come out in a rash at the sight of him. I refused to buy some Ainsley Harriot branded food t'other week even though it was two for the price of one, and the own brand stuff therefore more expensive. Mrs D thought I was mad, I just stand by my principles...

Anonymous said...

Good God no! Carol I mean.

Anonymous said...

Jamie Oliver !!! I cannot stand him.

Pages