What is Blair's legacy ? I thought I'd look at the news and internet to see what is happening today to see what he has achieved through his policies and looking at issues covered in various Labour pledge cards..
1) A stable economy and low mortgages ? Well, interest rates are up today , house price inflation is so out of control in parts of the country that people are having to be lent seven times their salary in order to get on the property ladder and inflation is on the rise..
2) 24 Hours to save the NHS ? Today it has been reported that Tony Blair's pledge to end mixed sex wards had proved to be a false one whilst also in the news today is the startling fact that the UK lags behind the rest of Europe when it comes to cancer treatments.
3) Your family safer ?I note that the terror threat level today is "severe". I don't recall a need for a terrorist threat level in 1997 and I think that most people will agree that Blair's war in Iraq has raised the threat to UK families. This on the day that more time has been granted to UK police to question UK citizens regarding the 7/7 bombings..
4) The UK respected abroad and an ethical foreign policy ? One word - Iraq. Today's news of the lawlessness is as bleak as ever.
5) Defending our borders - Today the government has been criticised for the way the UK armed forces are treated after conflicts. The all party group of MP's put the blame for this squarely at the government's feet.
6) Tough on crime. Tough on the causes of crime ! And today the government is letting prisoners be released early and giving advice that shorter sentences should be set. Soft on criminals, soft on the punishments for criminals.
So in the news today, some views on Blair's legacy to today's generation. What his legacy will mean in 10 years time is still unclear, but to me it will always be defined by that word ... Iraq.