1/17/2007

The right to Roam is free at last

Hutchison Three G, the mobile telephone company, have announced that international roaming charges are to end and that their inclusive minutes will be "cross border", in that they can be used in any country where Three run a mobile telephone network.

For many years I have wondered how Vodafone, Orance and T-Mobile can justify their roaming charges given that when you are aborad you are still using their own phone networks (they are international compaines running mobile networks in scores of countries).

Now Three have led the way, I hope other companies will follow. I guess the other main players will sit tight and hope that no one else will follow Three, but with my phone contract up for renewal in just a few days, it will certainly make me think about whether Vodafone deserve my custom.

No comments:

Pages