10/07/2006

Watching England play. Why do we put ourselves through it ?

England play against Macedonia today in a Euro Championships qualifier. I cannot remember missing an England game on TV in probably the last 20 years, but I have to go back almost as far to remember actually enjoying the experience.

That isn't entirely true, I did enjoy England beating German 5-1, but aside from that, I always find watching England a little painful, a bit like having a dull stomach ache, generally, not a particularly pleasant experience. So why is this ?

I was listening to BBC Five Live yesterday and they touched on to the issue, and said it is like supporting a big team, like Newcastle, but just like Newcastle, never winning anything. They can always be guaranteed to be there or there abouts, but like "the toon", most fans know that are going to throw it away at some point.

As ever, I'd love to be proved wrong by England. I'm sure they'll win today though.

No comments:

Pages