10/28/2006

Time to leave the clocks alone ?


There is more talk this year than in previous years both in the written press and on radio phone-ins on the merits of putting the clock back.

Personally, I would rather it be left as it is. Even if left alone, it will be light enough when the most vulnerable children are walking to school in the morning (an argument often given for changing the clocks), whilst it being lighter later on in the day will save people more on their electricity bills.

At my school afternoon clubs go on until 4pm and it will be dark as these children go home. So I see little point in changing the clocks at all.

I think it must be much worse in Scotland and I know Scots are more bitterly opposed to the clock changes than most. Also, Mexico is not changing it's clocks this year in great part because they see no advantage.

Anybody disagree ? Leave some comments.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have a vague recollection of Conference actually agreeing a motion on something like this....

Ah, here it is. Autumn 2004: "Introducing Double Summertime (by moving clocks forward two hours rather than one hour during summer time) to allow better use of sunlight hours, boosting tourism by an estimated £1bn per annum."

Anonymous said...

Leave them as they are I say. The modern world is not a 9-5 world so we need not work to those old rules.

Nich Starling said...

I like the fact that the Lib Dems do have a policy on this. Funny how we are always labelled as not standing for anything.

Pages